13 July 2008

Sunday Morning Bike Ride

Before it got unbearably hot, I set off on a li'l bicycling excursion around town. DC has a wealth of bike paths looping in and around the city, from downtown to Virginia to Maryland and back again. I headed for the Mount Vernon trail, which leads all the way to -- you guessed it -- Mount Vernon, George Washington's home. I only went as far as Reagan National Airport before heading back to the city. All in all, about a 13-mile ride from start to finish. The path moves really quickly, wasn't crowded or steep, and passes by all the sights from across the Potomac, as well as skirting Roosevelt Island, a future adventure. My Schwinn graciously modeled for me...

sunday morning bike ride
approaching the start of the path, near the Key Bridge crossing from Georgetown to Arlington

canal
under the bridge

bike ride along mount vernon trail

bike ride along mount vernon trail

watching planes @ reagan nat'l
watching airplanes land is oddly soothing

under the 14th St bridge
train debris under the 14th street bridge

Yesterday I went to the Eastern Market.

eastern market

All in all, a good weekend. Now, the magnitude of work that looms before me has hit like a landing airplane.

No comments: