22 June 2008

Friday

Work was pretty slow on Friday, as most everyone was off at our annual convention. It was a lovely day, so I took a long walk at lunch.

mcpherson square
McPherson Square, my new lunch spot

white house and dog

segways
Tourists ride around on segways. I'm sorry, unless you're Job Bluth, it looks ridiculous and gets in my way

white house backyard

After work, I went out to the aforementioned Jazz in the Sculpture Garden and then to After Hours at the Hirshhorn Gallery. So much fun!

Jazz was PACKED. It's very much a picnic outing, and every square scrap of green lawn was occupied. Heavy on the young professional crowd. Met up with housemates Zach and Anthony and Zach's girlfriend, Maria. We both commented on how weird it is to say our name out loud, being the only Marias in our respective social circles. Anthony's friends Mike and Ryan also came out—yep, that Ryan (see previous post). After some snacks, some laughs, a pitcher of sangria, and barely audible jazz, we headed across the Mall to the Hirshhorn. (Which I keep wanting to spell with a C.)

hirshhorn after hours

Within five minutes of walking into the party, I run into the only other person I kinda sorta know in DC: Jesse's friend Jason who I met at a wedding last summer. Is DC really this small?? And to top it off, he lives in my neighborhood! So pumped.

hirshhorn after hours

The new exhibit at the Hirshhorn, the Cinema Effect, Part II (I missed Part I) had some really, really interesting work, and some kind of boring work. I will definitely be checking it out again, so I'll save my review for when 1) it's not packed with drunk people and 2) I'm not drunk. But I particularly enjoyed the pieces by Runa Islam and Francesco Vizzoli.

All in all, it was a night of seeing some sights, meeting awesome new people (between Anthony's friends and Jason's), and getting to know my housemates some more.

No comments: