10 April 2007

City of Angels / City of Sin

I'm in Los Angeles, visiting my HLP Celeste. I've been here almost a week, going home tomorrow. Already. How do "vacations"* do that, seem so epic with no end in sight at first, then like that you're leaving in twenty-four hours and scrambling to get to the lingering items on your to-see list?

(*Given that I got no job, I feel bad calling this a vacation, since I guess I've been vacationing for four months.)

On my first full day here, I went to the Huntington Botanic Gardens with Celeste's assistant Lindsey (Lyndxe). You know me and gardens. It was free day, which meant every man, woman, child, grandparent, tourist, and their brothers were there. We managed to see and photograph the jungle and desert gardens before complete annoyance set in.

_MG_4903.JPG
I like how painterly this photo turned out

Gardening was followed by grilled-cheese gluttony at the Brite Spot diner, which was followed by seeing Man Man at The Roxy.

On Saturday, we took a little field trip to Las Vegas. I've never been, so I was amped to check out the neon spectacle. We stayed in Old Skool Vegas, on Fremont Street, a few miles away from the over-the-top theme park strip of Las Vegas Blvd. Fremont Street has an amazing array of like classic 40s and 50s neon signs of showgirls and cowboys and mermaids. Walk in the opposite direction, and you hit the Clark County Detention Center and Courthouse, and about a dozen bail bond joints. Ahhh, Vegas.

_MG_5208.JPG

I didn't gamble a cent, or see any titties or Celine Dion, but I still had a blast. Hit the buffet a few times. Made like a tourist and bought a custom-airbrushed tank top with my name on it. I miscalculated sizes, so it's teeny like a total hoochie shirt. Very appropriate.

airbrush shop

We had the unfortunate luck of coming to town on the weekend of the inaugural Las Vegas Grand Prix, which was literally racing right outside our windows starting at 6 am. The streets were converted to a race track, so you had to climb across an overpass to cross the street. Balls.

Time for coffee now. I'll update the rest later.

No comments: