05 April 2006

Alitalia Flight 626

Monday, April 3
About 3:30 pm Libya, 7:30 am CST
In the vicinity of Greenland

According to the flight monitor, we've got over four and half hours to go still. I hate return flights from Europre, always during the daytime so it's impossible to sleep. Wouldn't mind so much if I had slept at all last night, which I didn't. But, I'm going home. I can't believe I'm going home. Wasn't I just saying I can't believe I'm here? There? Where am I?

I don't feel that the time passed extraordinarily fast, as most tend to say on the return journey. As some points it downright slogged along. But that's how life goes, too. I think the past week in the desert, I really got into a semi-regular set routine. We shifted location once, but it was more or less exactly the same surroundings. And of course, as previously stated, I've actually had time to get to know some of the people (Libyans, that is) along the way rather than do the meet-and-greet over and over again in each respective city. These kids, their enthusiasm was infectious and just the thing to make it through the last leg of the trip. Comraderie transcended the language barrier. Abrahem, the ringleader of the bunch and the best driver with the best car with the best music in my opinion, even stuck around the airport with us in Sabha til our flight left. I get sad and mad when I think of how they would probably be treated, simply based on their appearance, if they came to the US.

abrahem_salem.JPG

Vegetarian meal was once again flubbed, not surprising given the absolute chaos at the airport this morning. Ten hour flight, roll and a fruitcup. Oh man, five hours to Mexican food. Can't wait.

Genius that I am, I packed my gum, sleeping pills, and headphones in my checked bag, so sleep is not looking likely, and my ears are popping like mad.

Almost there...

No comments: