22 March 2006

return of the internet!

Wednesday, March 22
7:16 am CST
3:16 pm, Tripoli, Libya

Well kids, I'm in Libya. The past three nights before Tripoli were spent in a town called Susa, in the eastern part of the country. The Libyan equivalent of the sticks from what I observed. Nothing, anywhere, for miles. Stunning scenery along the Mediterranean though. I wrote out a few entries about those sites (by hand, as my computer is dying and I'm afraid of Libyan voltage), which I'll transcribe later tonight.

sallum1.JPG

The actual entry into Libya was more or less anticlimactic. Took us about two and half hours to cross the border on Saturday. What we crossed into was perhaps the most godforsaken land I've ever laid eyes on, exacerbated by the fact that we were driving right into a sandstorm. Hot, sandy, fierce winds blowing over barren, desolate desert. There was a collective drop in enthusiasm around the bus, as I'm sure we were all thinking, "what the f&*k are we doing here??"

border_storm.JPG

Things could only get better from there, and they have. More to come later. Now: a visit to a few mosques, walk through the old town of Tripoli, and a shopping trip to the bazaars!

P.S. The Corinthia Bab Africa is the nicest hotel I have ever been in, and will probably ever be in, in my life. If the dark chocolate on the pillow wasn't enough, the free internet sealed the deal.

tripoli | corinthia hotel

No comments: